Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Recovery, Day 2


Well, this time yesterday all was great! My foot was numb and I was thinking, "Wow, this bunion surgery really wasn't that bad at all." I couldn't walk very well with my crutches and I was kind of groggy, but there was no pain after the surgery. I was relieved to say the least. (Look at my best recovery pal right here...ain't she so cute???? Ooh, I love my Princess!)

So much for no pain. Today plenty made up for yesterday's pain free bliss. OMGsh WOWZEE ZOWEE WHOOPA YOW YOW!!!!! (That's whatcha say when you are hurtin' like I was today.) Boo Hoo Sniff Sniff, I didn't feel so good. I didn't sleep at all last night and my foot was in pain. The pain meds make my head feel loopy but my foot still hurts.

I was stuck on the couch all day. I can't put any weight on my left foot. I need help getting to and from the bathroom. I'm a little off balance. But.....oh I am feeling sooooooo blessed. (Book end prayers as Micca said in her blog post today http://www.miccacampbell.com/2008/02/book-end-prayer.html.) Why bookend prayers? Bookend prayers are prayers where you remember to thank God for answered prayer. I prayed and so did many of my friends that my surgery would be successful and that I would be protected and feel God's presence through this trial. I was scared and nervous. Well, God answered. He did protect me. Although I am in pain, the blessings and His presence were all around. Thank You Jesus...You did not leave me and You loved me through people today (and fried chicken:) Just like no book is complete without an end, our prayers aren't complete withouth an answer and then thanking God for that answer, no matter what that answer is (yes, no, maybe, wait, etc.)

Pat Taylor, my beautiful mother in law, gave up her day to care for me. She served me in so many ways...it almost makes me cry. She cleaned my house, did laundry, spent time with me, cleaned my refrigerator (if you only knew...wow), kept coolant on my foot, kept me medicated, picked up the kids from school, served me breakfast, lunch and supper, went to the store for me, and tried her best to keep my mind off my pain. She is such a treasure. I felt like I was in a 5 star hotel in my own home! I don't know what I would've done today without her. Can you believe she's my mother in law? Looks more like my sister! She puts her love in action. I am so grateful for her. Jesus with skin on...she's a lovely example of just that.

And another thing I'm grateful for. Chicken with skin on....that's right I said chicken. My sweet friend, LaGena, brought me a meal I will not soon forget. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, macaroni/cheese, biscuits, cheese grits(from Cajun Yard Dog).....thank You Lord for comfort food. A funny side note here. When LaGena told another friend of mine, Denise, that she was bringing all that soul food, Denise (well meaning and all) said, "ooh LaGena, Melissa is trying to watch what she eats, maybe you should bring something else." Well, thank you Denise for looking out for my health....but I'm thankful LaGena was looking out for my comfort! It was heavenly and worth every calorie! Yummy! (I have a lot of explaining to do over on my "I Am Beautiful" blog:) http://www.beautifulp31.blogspot.com/ Really though, in all seriousness, what a blessing. My mind was off the pain as I thoroughly enjoyed my meal. She also brought me a few other goodies, as I have never known LaGena to show up without a gift. She is so thoughtful. Again, I am brought to tears when I think about it. I am truly thankful. She's another "Jesus with skin on". I wish I had a picture of LaGena here, but I have the next best thing...the food she brought!

Family and friends. When times are tough and I'm down and out, they are the ones who remind me that I'm valued and actually worth something...I forget that sometimes. As I lie here on my den couch and write, I realize that although the pain is great, my God is greater. And His gifts come in many different packages. Day 2 of my recovery is a gift.



Thank You my Lord for placing people in my life who take the time to care for me and show me so much love. You give me way more than I deserve. It gives purpose to the pain. Please give me opportunities to do the same for others and I pray I don't miss them when they arise. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

4 comments:

Denise said...

Your time will come to burn off that Fried Chix. and it will be a great day when you are up and pain free! Love U
D

Jodie Wolfe said...

I will continue to pray for you Melissa. I had should surgery less than a year ago and I can relate to the pain issue. Hang in there though, things will soon start turning around and these days of pain will be a distant blur of your memory. :)

Jodie Wolfe said...

Just think Melissa. The advantage of being out of commission is that you can get caught up with your blogging, reading, etc. :) Oops - meant shoulder surgery in the last comment. That's what happens when the brain thinks faster than my fingers! :) Hope you have a day where you see God's presence in a special way!

MelissaTaylor.org said...

Pearls...you are right. I love to be on the computer, but usually don't have the time to just explore, blog at my leisure, etc.

***I knew you meant shoulder:)

Thanks and pray God's presence is seen all around you too.
Love,
Melissa