Monday, September 14, 2009

People Watching is Interesting to Me

But what I don't like about people watching is that too often I begin to judge the people I'm watching. Like I have the right. I don't.

I'm going to highlight some biggies here. Kanye West and Michael Vick.

On first glance, I can jump right in with the crowd. Michael Vick....what a loser, killing animals, making them fight. He totally doesn't deserve a second chance. And Kanye, interrupting my daughter's very favorite singer, Taylor Swift. Stealing a special moment from her like that. What a loser. Let's just charge them now. Guilty. If you aren't sure what I'm talking about, just Google Michael Vick or Kanye West.

I've heard what many have said. According to most, these 2 are scum, don't deserve a second chance.

While it's easy to jump on these bandwagons....it's even easy to agree with the crowd. I mean there are clear justifiable reasons. However, I dare you. I dare you to take God's approach.

Please don't bash me for this. But I have to wonder, is what they did forgivable in the eyes of the Lord? Well, yes it is. Because there is nothing unforgivable to Him. I mean we have to really mean it, but God can and will forgive when we really mean it. And who are we to decide how someone should be punished?

I am one of the few who are rooting for Michael Vick. He says that he is a changed man because of the Lord Jesus Christ. I want that to be true. Why wouldn't I? God knows all, and it's not up to me to decide it. I so hope he is a changed man. What a difference he will make in the kingdom of God if that's the case. It's not up to me or you to decide if he's a good guy or not. Plus, I can relate to Michael Vick. No, I've never arranged fights between dogs, but I have sinned. I've sinned bad and big time. I pray that God believes in me. There are others who may not believe me, but my main concern is that God does. That's all that truly matters to me. He and I know the truth. Who else has the right to judge? My value is determined by Him not my previous actions. Humans aren't so forgiving. I've learned that. But God is.

And about Kanye West....I'm one of the few who probably feel a little sorry for him. I love Taylor Swift. Hayley Grace and I listen to Taylor all the time. She's America's sweetheart. He was hateful to her last night. I didn't watch the Mtv Video Music Awards last night. When Britney and Madonna french kissed 7 years ago, I decided not to watch that again. But I awoke to the drama. It was on all the morning shows, FaceBook, Twitter, etc. And immediately I thought, "Oh great. Another celebrity drama that is going to take over the media. Instead of hearing about quality news, we will hear about this." And I was right.

I decided to tune into to The Jay Leno Show tonight on NBC. Kanye West was a guest on there. He was quiet. He did not look up. He was shamed. He seemed to be on the verge of tears. He couldn't even answer a question about what his late mother would've thought about his behavior. I suspect he is questioning himself, "What was I thinking?" "What made me do that?" I'm sure he has major regrets. But maybe just maybe it is the regrets that could make him a changed man? Right? If that's what it takes....

Have you ever asked yourself those questions? I bet you did. Only the entire world wasn't fixated you while you did it.

My point here is that it's real easy for us to judge others. It's easy when a camera or spotlight is on someone else to join the world in siding against them. I don't know about you, but I'm real glad that there is not a camera following me.

I am not justifying what these men have done. Not at all. We all do have the right to judge their actions. What they did was wrong. But we do not have the right to judge what's in their hearts. If we do, then we are saying that God is not capable of healing and changing someone. God is. And it's best if we stay out of His way.

That's all I'm sayin.

Our God is a God of second chances. And aren't you thankful for that? I know I am.

I'll leave all this up to Him.

Let me know your thoughts....

Love,

Melissa

8 comments:

Teresa @ Grammy Girlfriend said...

Good post....I wish I had caught Jay Leno.....

But I am a MAJOR people watcher.....and people are funny....

Julie Wyatt Kelada said...

Well said!! Our God is a God of 2nd chances,3rd chances, 4th chances. When we all draw the line just below ourselves on what is wrong and unforgivable that is where we REALLY get it wrong. God died for ALL our sins. I hope these 2 men get it right this time around!! Great reminder of how BIG God's love is for us all!!

Joyful said...

May he that is without sin, cast the first stone. (John 8:7)

Emptying my pockets of stones,
Joy

Anonymous said...

Thanks Melissa,
I saw Jay Leno last night and was praying that this "break" that Kanye said he is taking would be one that would honor God and that He may know God better through. I was almost moved to tears as he sat and pondered about what his mother would have thought. Wow.
I am thankful for the reminder that God wants to heal us, and hoping and praying for these two men.
Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Amen, Melissa.

Unknown said...

AMEN! I have often wondered if all those who are quick to condmen had some of their sins publicized for all to see, if they would be so quick to judge. How would they feel to have people be so hateful to them over their mistakes and lapses in good judgement.

After all, Jesus was the one who said, "Do not judge, or you too will be judged." (Matthew 7:1 NIV)

Chelle Majeski said...

Oh, that we would all remember this.

I have been the judger and the judged, and I know the pain that both positions carry.

It is a freedom to be able to let people make their mistakes without picking up stones which are a burden that didn't belong to us to begin with. But, rather, we can come along side with grace and help them to grow from them.

Thanks for the reminder!

Welcome To My Blog said...

I like your writing,I see it comes from your heart.I will see you at the other blog.

Make it a blest day & life

Jerry @
www.jmeeks.124online.com